Monday, February 8, 2010

CIA



So tonight while I was doing my Geography homework, I discovered two things. First of all, I discovered how much I love geography. It is so interesting to me, I might make it my profession. I'm not sure how I would do that but I will consider the options in the near future.

Second, I discovered that the CIA has an awesome website available with an immense amount of useful information. For example, if I want to know how many unpaved airports Kazakhstan has , I have that information at my fingertips. As you can see below, Kazakhstan has 32 unpaved airports. In fact, in total they have 99 airports as of 2009, which you can also see comes in #61 compared to the rest of the world. Honestly, who can deny the usefulness of this?

Seriously though, you can find loads of incredibly interesting information. For example, did you know that Russia is the world's leading export in both oil and natural gas? Did you know that the average person in Liechtenstein makes $122,100 a year? Compare that to the average $46,400 for the average United States citizen! Or compare that to the $200 per person average in Zimbabwe. Did you know that Oman spends 7.34% more of their GDP on their military than the United States? Hmm. Probably not. What if someone asks you what Northern Europe might look like from space? Well, you can show them this picture below, which you found on the site.

Now, if you're really in a pinch and need to know how many radio broadcast stations that Serbia has, you can find that they currently have 153 radio stations broadcasting. Incredible, isn't it? And you thought the CIA was keeping all that information classified... didn't you?

All this information and much, much more can be yours right here.

PS - I found all this information on CIA's "Factbook" website, NOT to be confused with the popular online social networking site "Facebook".




7 comments:

Rob said...

That is actually much more interesting than you made this posting sound. I am really impressed with this. You should post things like this much more often. STAMP!

Unknown said...

I am very pleased you enjoyed it Rob. I will try and keep up with some quality posts. Did you go to the site and explore a bit?? It really is freakin awesome.

Jese said...

I dispute the utility of this post.

Unknown said...

I dispute you, Buddy.

Jace said...

Liechtenstein is awesome.. I decided a few months ago that I want to learn German and move to either Liechtenstein or Luxembourg..

Valen Hunter said...

hey, this isn't dorky at all....

Unknown said...

Val, just wait till you see the next post I've been working on...